Sugarman Rogers partner, Kate Cook, presented an oral argument to the Supreme Judicial Court on February 6, 2018 in a much-watched case concerning a proposed initiative petition to impose a new tax on high earners that would create a revenue stream for transportation and education needs. Kate represents the original signers of the initiative petition, who contend that the petition satisfies all applicable constitutional requirements. The SJC argument by all parties’ counsel can be viewed on-line here.
Read more about the SJC case concerning this initiative petition:
- “SJC to review fight over ballot question on extra tax for incomes over $1 million,” The Boston Globe, February 6, 2018
- “SJC justices question design of millionaires tax proposal,” The Boston Business Journal, February 6, 2018
- “SJC justices mull millionaires’ tax,” CommonWealth Magazine, February 6, 2018
- “Mass. justices question legality of ‘millionaire tax’ petition,” Law360, February 6, 2018
- “SJC hears arguments for and against ‘millionaires tax,’ The Boston Herald, February 7, 2018